Thursday, September 25, 2008

Potty Training 101

Got valium? OK, 6 changes later and we are still no closer than before. The issue seems to be Ben doesn't understand how to avoid using the bathroom in his pants. I keep asking him to tell me before he peepees. He says, OK. And then it happens again. I have tried bribery with stickers, new super-duper cool underwear and plain out talking about it. Nothing seems to be working. I am certain that at almost three and a half, he should be just about ready. Who knows. Am I doing something wrong? We go to the bathroom every 30 to 45 minutes. But I'm just not catching him in time.

Shouldn't there be an "easy" button for this?

Gayle

3 comments:

Karen D. said...

Yea! Glad to see an update and some pics!!! He is a doll! Sounds like your life is an adventure these days! I can relate!

Abbie has started showing interest in the potty and has gone several times. Today she let me know a couple of times after the fact... I am not giving up the diapers just yet. I hadn't planned on this for at least another 8 months! She is only 22 months old!

Keep in touch!
Love,
Karen

Deb said...

when I stared (the second time) with Bug, I took him to the bathroom every 30 minutes. It meant that the first 2 days, we pretty much stayed home. We went out the 3rd day (long holiday weekend) and he went 1 hour between bathroom breaks.
If you have not tried the timed approach, try that. I also found that I had to sit on the potty too while Bug was in the first stages of potty training, so we had group potty time. It helped and even now, when I think Bug is close to going too long between bathroom breaks, I force the issue by going to the potty with him.

Love to you,
Deb

Angie's blog said...

No easy way when it comes to boys. I think three, almost four is usually the key age. Don't get discouraged-he will not be in diapers in college;) It does take time and patience(patience-what's that??). I used lolly pop treats for my older children-that helped.